What is GPPS-General Purpose Poly Styrane
Polystyrene is a polymerization product of styrene (vinyl benzene), thermoplastic polymer of linear structure. It is widely used due to its good physical and mechanical properties, environmental safety, chemical inertness to many substances, moisture-, electricity- and frost resistance.
General-purpose polystyrene (GPPS) is one of the most widely used kinds of plastic that has
excellent transparency, high stiffness and excellent moldability (injection, extrusion, foam molding,
etc.). GPPS is used for disposable cups, cases for a box lunch and a household dishes,
confectionery trays, package, CD cases, container for a seasoning, various films, etc.
Features of GPPS for Conventional Grades
High-impact polystyrenes, i.e. styrene copolymers with butadiene and styrene-butadiene rubber, are used most widely (more than 60% in the production of polystyrene plastics). There are also lots of other modifications of styrene copolymers.
- Moldings of excellent transparency and beautiful color
- Excellent processability with high production efficiency
- Superior electrical and mechanical properties
Features of GPPS for Performance Grades
- Super high molecular weight (over MW: 320,000)
- Wide range moldability and highly improved mechanical properties
- Uses for a specific purposes such as:
• Large-sized moldings
• – Complex-shaped moldings
• – Thin-walled moldings
• – Foam extrusion moldings
• – Biaxially oriented polystyrene sheet (B.O.P.S)